A blog about body image, dance, fitness, and positivity. Reflections on learning to love who you are right now and tips for working on changing things that no longer serve you on your journey.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

You Can't Wait Until...

Let's turn attention to the relationship between body image and living life for a moment. Obviously, the process I'm undergoing to bring my awesome "inner" me more in line with my maybe-not-quite-as-awesome "outer" me is going to take a long time. Realistically, changing your body -- whatever that means for you -- takes a long time. It takes a long time to get strong(er). It takes a long time to get fit(ter). Even if you get there, it takes some brain re-training to stay there. Under normal circumstances, it takes a long time to change habits and change your life.

You can't wait until things are exactly the way you want them to start living. As I think we've established, by any objective measure I am fat. Most people (in the US, at least) think of bellydancers as ... well, not fat. There are a variety of reasons for this, not all of them necessarily positive for the art of raqs sharqui, but that's a topic for another day. It's not like I started out dancing and then got fat -- I was fat when I started. But it was something I wanted to do, so I did it. And I loved it. And I wasn't that good at the beginning, because let's face it -- dance (any dance) is not as easy as it looks and being good at it requires practice and investment in education. But because I loved it, I got better. I got stronger. I was still fat, but by God I started to get muscle definition that made the fat look different. And after awhile, it just didn't seem to matter that I wasn't the typical body shape for a dancer. I'm no Ranya Renee, and I'll never be Rachel Brice, but that's ok. I kept at it, kept performing, kept studying, kept practicing and earlier this year, I won a competition. It was a small local competition with a field of about eight dancers, but the second place winner is a professional dancer and both the second- and third-place winners are less than half my size. That was sort of validating, to say the least. I've entered another competition that's coming up in about six months, and if I don't win, that's ok -- just participating is another step in my growth doing something I really love.

You may have different loves. But don't wait until things are perfect, or until you are perfect, to start them. That day will never come. Just jump in. You're not going to be the best at something right away, no matter what. That can't be your standard. Just go for the best you can be at that moment.

So since I've started this blog, I've lost 1.5 pounds, just by eating more slowly and intentionally. I might be a big, giant tortoise, but maybe I'll still get there in the end.

Tortoise
Photo: Tim Laman/National Geographic

Progress report:
Combo 1, step 1: eating with empty hands -- 75%

2 comments: