A blog about body image, dance, fitness, and positivity. Reflections on learning to love who you are right now and tips for working on changing things that no longer serve you on your journey.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Stressball

Stress and lack of sleep go hand in hand. They also apparently have a role in weight gain (as in, if you are stressed and/or if you don't get enough sleep, you tend to weigh more). I haven't slept soundly since my daughter was born -- the tiniest sound usually wakes me up -- but sometimes I'm not sleeping at all, soundly or otherwise. Last night was one of those nights.

It's like there's this dam somewhere behind my eyes and all the stress-inducing stuff in my life builds up behind it. And then, at about 2:30 in the morning, the dam breaks and my eyes slam open and everything that hasn't gotten done, or that I've forgotten about, or that I didn't forget about but just don't want to think about goes parading through my mind like a friggin' Mardi Gras parade, just as noisy but way less fun. Nobody brings beads or alcohol, for one thing.

I've tried all the strategies, from writing down everything that keeps running through my mind to convince my brain that it doesn't need to keep reminding me every five minutes to deep breathing to self distraction to getting up for a bit. Nothing really worked last night until about 30 minutes before I had to get up. So now, not only do I have a shit-ton of stuff to do, I'm tired and cranky. Yay.

Anyway, there is one thing that always eventually works, if I let it. It's this handy little app called SleepStream 2, and it not only has nature sounds and white noise, but it also has binaural tones and programs for both relaxation and energy, depending on what you need. I use it all the time and it really helps me get out of my head. There are lots of similar apps out there for iPhone and Droid, so if you prefer all nature sounds, or all white noise, or a mix, there's something out there for you. [To be honest, sometimes I use Ricky Gervais podcasts as a kind of white noise to fall asleep to -- I've listened to them all so often I don't really have to pay attention and it ends up being a very pleasant background drone.] If you're more relaxed and well-rested, you'll be able to manage everything better and reach your goals sooner. Give it a try!

SleepStream 2

Progress report:
Combo 1, step 1: eating with empty hands -- 90%

I'm getting closer to my first goal, and it's getting easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment