A blog about body image, dance, fitness, and positivity. Reflections on learning to love who you are right now and tips for working on changing things that no longer serve you on your journey.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fashion Tips from The Fat Dancer

So, this past weekend I had a lot of people ask me where I got my coverup, which I also used as a dress at the gala Saturday night. If you are a belly dancer, you know that coverups in a caftan style can run well over $100, especially if you are looking for something that does not immediately scream "house coat." Mine cost $35, and it is gorgeous (I'm not bragging -- I had nothing to do with its gorgeousness other than being lucky enough to find it and scoop it up).

Floral Embroidery Galabaya


I got this lovely little gem on eBay from Egypt -- ok, nothing so unusual about that. Who hasn't bought something from Egypt (or Turkey or India or China) on eBay? But here's my tip: don't search for "belly dance" stuff. Search for clothes that are marketed to Arabic/Muslim women. I found an incredible treasure trove of beautiful things (not only on eBay) by searching for "abaya," "galabaya" and/or "jilbab."

Now, it's true that this piece does not close up the front -- it's an over-the-head job that is sometimes really tricky to get on and off. However, I chose this pattern specifically because it could be cut up the front; throw on a few fancy frog fasteners and it's a little more useable as a coverup for before and after performances. But this thing fits so beautifully that I don't even want to cut it. It's amazingly flattering on me, which doesn't happen that often with dancewear, so I may just keep this one the way it is, and order another one to turn into a caftan. I can even imagine doing a folkloric piece in this, just the way it is.

So dancers, go investigate a whole new world of much more reasonably priced dresses. I mean, personally, I'd wear this around town every day in the fall, and it's only $50 (with shipping, three pieces):

Gray Galabaya/coat

No comments:

Post a Comment