A blog about body image, dance, fitness, and positivity. Reflections on learning to love who you are right now and tips for working on changing things that no longer serve you on your journey.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Combo 1: Eat Slow

I'm a dancer, so when I try to break down a huge project into manageable parts, I think in terms of combinations, which are made up of specific steps. The first "combo" I'm going to work on memorizing, which in dance terms means literally getting it "into your body" -- a particularly apt metaphor when I'm working on body image -- is eating more slowly and giving myself time to feel full.

The first step in this combo is: don't have food in your hand (or on your fork) until the food in your mouth is gone. Sounds simple, right? I started working on this yesterday, with about 50 percent success. Eating cherry tomatoes, my habit is to bring one up to my mouth and then get my hand back in the bowl as fast as possible to get ready to shove another one in. Same with pita chips, good Gruyere cheese or popcorn (which is pretty much what I ate yesterday). It takes a real effort to have absolutely nothing in my hand while I'm chewing. But it does result in paying more attention to the activity of eating rather than the activity of getting food in my mouth.  I had way less success with the pieces of artisan bread we brought home yesterday. Those I pretty much shoved right in -- it was so heavenly good. So still lots more work to do here. My goal is to get two whole days of 100% empty hands while chewing.

We discovered a new thing yesterday, by the way, that made a really good snack as a dip for pita chips and cherry tomatoes: edamame hummus. High protein, low calorie, very filling. And yeah, it tastes like hummus.
Edamame Hummus by Eat Well Enjoy Life

The point of starting this blog, at least in part, is to hold myself accountable to someone other than myself, because I'm pretty easy on myself when it comes to meeting goals. So I'll end each post with a progress report of my success with my current goal, like this:

Progress report:
Combo 1, step 1: eating with empty hands -- 50%

No comments:

Post a Comment